1 sink below the surface; go under or as if under water [syn: submerse]
2 cover completely or make imperceptible; "I was drowned in work"; "The noise drowned out her speech" [syn: drown, overwhelm]
3 put under water; "submerge your head completely" [syn: submerse]
- Rhymes: -ɜː(r)dʒ
- To sink out of sight.
- The submarine submerged in the water.
- To put into a liquid; to immerse; to plunge into and keep in.
- In films many people are murdered by being submerged in a swimming pool.
- To be engulfed in or with something.
- ; Because of the death of his father, he is submerged in sorrow.
- immerse (2)
baptize, break water, bury, camouflage, cave, cave in, cloak, conceal, decline, deluge, descend, dip, dive, douse, drench, droop, drown, duck, dunk, engulf, float, flood, flood negative, flood the tanks, flop, flop down, flow on, flump, flump down, founder, give way, go below, go down, go under, hide, immerge, immerse, impregnate, inundate, lapse, lower, merge, obscure, overflow, overwhelm, plop, plop down, plummet, plump, plunge, plunge in water, pour on, rain, rig for diving, sag, saturate, set, settle, settle down, shroud, sink, sink down, slouch, sluice, slump, slump down, soak, sound, souse, submerse, subside, surface, swag, swamp, veil, wash, wet, whelm